Keep your grass looking beautiful
Artificial Grass is a low-maintenance option and will make your life 10x easier. However this doesn’t mean it is no-maintenance, In this blog we are going to detail how to look after artificial grass. Along with how to ensure your artificial grass lasts !
Even now, you will very probably be reclining on your perfect surface and looking forward to a long summer spent in the great outdoors. To help you along the way, here’s a 10-point plan about how to look after your artificial grass:
1) It sounds crazy, but sometimes these things need spelling out – don’t ride cars or motorbikes over your artificial grass. However, wheelchairs and wheelbarrows are fine.
2) Be careful with chewing gum. It will cause lots of problems if it gets on your artificial grass.
3) As with lawns in general, clear away any sharp objects such as broken glass, which can tear into the artificial surface and damage it.
4) Fire. This one may not be so obvious if your previous lawn was natural grass but bonfires, cigarette ash – even fireworks – can damage the surface, so keep well away.
5) Likewise with BBQs… keep them safely on patio surfaces.
6) If you do get such marks on your lawn, work quickly to remove them. Use washing-up liquid dissolved into warm water to create a soapy mixture, with which to clean. Mineral spirits might be used for more stubborn stains.
7) You shouldn’t get issues with weeds in your artificial grass, but persistent ones may poke through. Therefore, ensure that you always keep your lawn free of weeds and surface debris. Such as fallen leaves, which can mulch down and lead to the build-up of organic material within the lawn, thereby affecting drainage. Rotten leaves can also assist weed growth, so make sure all weeds are removed with a water-based weed treatment.
A common question we hear is “Can you clean artificial grass with washing up liquid?”. The simple answer is yes. However if you plan to use any harsher chemicals, we recommend using an offcut or sample to test the chemical on before your potentially hurt your lawn.
8) Many owners of artificial grass have pets – it’s an ideal garden solution for animals. However, ensure you always clear up animal excrement, which might also stain the lawn. Wash it down afterwards to dilute it further.
9) Lightly brush the lawn, as you would your hair after a visit to the hairdresser… although in this case, with a medium soft bristle brush. In the first two months, this should be done quite regularly, as the lawn beds in and settles. After that it should be brushed once a month, to ensure that the turf is lush and bouncy, whilst also encouraging it to stand upright. You can also help the process by infilling with kiln-dried sand.
10) Artificial grass is great for football and loads of other games. If the artificial surface is for sports use, regularly hose it down to stop the impact of sweat, skin… even blood, of those sports people playing on the surface.
It’s a case of little… but often. Take these few simple steps and you will see the benefit of your care and maintenance, ensuring the lawn shines all through the year! Looking after artificial grass is easy especially if you follow our steps
If you look after your artificial grass it will last a long time!
Are you based in the North-West? If so then be sure check out our maintenance service, so you don’t have to do the work yourself. We can keep your artificial grass looking fresh all year round.